Allergist-Immunologist. Co-founder, Alpha Allergy & Asthma Associates.
Assistant Professor at The Johns Hopkins University Allergy & Clinical Immunology Division.
Education and Post-Graduate Training
- Doctor of Medicine, Howard University College of Medicine, Washington DC.
- Master’s Degree in Clinical Epidemiology, University of Pennsylvania, Philadelphia, PA.
- Internal Medicine Internship and Residency, Georgetown University / Washington Hospital Center, Washington DC.
- Fellowship in Allergy & Immunology, Hospital of the University of Pennsylvania, Philadelphia, PA.
- Bachelor’s Degree in Biology, Oakwood University, Huntsville, AL.
- American Board of Internal Medicine – Certified
- American Board of Allergy and Immunology – Certified
D’Jahna Akinyemi, MD (In her own words):
“I became interested in immunology in medical school. It was the most interesting area of the basic sciences courses to me. Studying how the immune system works and subsequently the dysfunction of it was fascinating. As I progressed through my medical training and was exposed to various specialties, I worked with an allergist/immunologist during residency and knew that this was the area that I wanted to dedicate my career to.
During my allergy and immunology training at the University of Pennsylvania, I also did a Master’s degree in Clinical Epidemiology. After my training was complete, I decided to stay in academic medicine and joined the faculty at Johns Hopkins University School of Medicine, in the Division of Allergy and Clinical Immunology.
Over the past few years I have learned that what I really love about medicine is the interaction with my patients and getting to know them in order to understand their needs and develop a very personalized treatment plan.
I wanted to be able to bring my patients the expertise and resources available in an academic medical center to a community practice setting. I believe this is where my co-founder and I realized that we had a similar vision. We discovered that there was a need for allergists in Montgomery County, Maryland, and for the type of practice that we envisioned, and set out to create it. We are now here to serve you.”